Status of the Shipboard Campus

lhanson
Mar 27, 2015

Status of the Shipboard Campus

As the Institute for Shipboard Education has shared since last year, ISE and its European banks arranged a standstill agreement to facilitate the sale of the MV Explorer to relieve the organization of the many financial burdens of ship ownership. The agreement states that ISE remains owner of the MV Explorer through the Semester at Sea Spring 2015 voyage.

The Institute remains committed to finding the safest, most economical ship to maintain its unique academic program. ISE will announce the new ship on this website and via email as soon as it has determined its future shipboard campus.

Semester at Sea has adapted to many different shipboard campuses in its 51-year history. ISE is on solid financial ground, current on all financial obligations, and poised for a bright future with a new vessel. While the campus may change, the program and its remarkable impact remain as strong as ever.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please contact Dale Jones, Executive Director of Marketing and Communications: djones@isevoyages.org

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
lhanson

1. Roy Warrender
    December 15, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Hi I know that this may be a bit cheeky.
    As a cruise ship enthusiast, I have been watching your current vessel MV Explorer on the Marine Traffic web site for some time,
    I see from your website that you may be obtaining a new vessel shortly, I look forward to knowing its name when it is known,
    In fact my question is about MV Explorer she seems to have vanished of the marine traffic web daily listings’ I am assuming she is in Freeport, Bahama, probably getting some TLC and will emerge read for the next expedition
    Many thanks I look forward to you reply

Roy

2. John MacDonald
    May 9, 2015 at 11:42 am

the ship was renamed Celestyal Odyssey and is currently docked in Lavrio, Greece.

3. melissa mcleod
    March 23, 2015 at 9:25 am

Any news about which ship will be in use for the fall 2015 cruise? My daughter is going and we would love to know!??

4. LRB
    March 23, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Please release information about the new ship… My daughter is also going – its only fair to know about the ship she will be living on for a 100 days… let’s give the students and parents some real information

5. PES
    March 27, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I know that you have added Trinidad Tobago to the fall trip. However it is a very dangerous place. I cut and pasted this from the United States Department of State website (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/trinidad-tobago.html) Would you consider taking students someplace more safe. How about starting in St Petersburg like you used to?
    From the State Department:
    CRIME: Violent crime remains high on both islands and affects local and expatriate communities as well as tourists. You should exercise caution and good judgment. Be particularly cautious when traveling after dark from Trinidad’s Piarco Airport as incidents have been reported in the past involving armed robbers trailing arriving passengers from the airport and accosting them in remote areas of the airport parking lot, on the highway leading from the airport to downtown Port of Spain, and outside the gates of residences. Areas in the Port of Spain metro area to avoid include Laventille, Morvant, Sea Lots, Beetham, the interior of the Queen’s Park Savannah, South Belmont, and Cocorite. Visitors should avoid the following areas after dark: scenic rest stops and public parks including Fort George, downtown Port of Spain, the interior and perimeter of Queen’s Park Savanah, and all beaches. Tourists are particularly vulnerable to pick-pocketing and armed assaults in these locations. Holiday periods, especially Christmas and Carnival, often see an increase in criminal activity.

6. Julie Clark
    May 1, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Hi, Lauren. It would be great if rather than email individual replies to the questions above, you posted your replies for all to see. The questions that others have asked we all have — in the future, I think it would be great if we could all see the answers. It would probably also save you a lot of time not having to answer each person individually.

7. WPK
    March 28, 2015 at 10:49 pm

My son is going on the Fall 2015 voyage and we would like to have the information released. Several emails have been received saying there are finalizations being made, making the impression that the ship has been chosen. Please give us information about the home that our children will be living on. It is only fair that we know what their home will be in advance. Thank you

8. CM
    April 2, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Do you have a ship lined up for Fall 2015? We’d love some information before paying the deposit and tuition. We’re hoping for good news! Thank you for sharing!

9. Jordan Carey
    April 5, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I know that the ship has been, on the market for quite sometime, I also know that the acedmic sponsor will be changing in the upcoming years, do we have any more info on who that might be?

10. Jules Lynch
    April 10, 2015 at 8:52 pm

What are the prices for the Fall of 2016 and Spring of 2017 cruises for lifelong learners.

11. Aj
    April 12, 2015 at 11:17 am

They probably would if they could. I doubt they have a replacement yet. SAS is very sharp in their press releases, and if you read between the lines they are still searching desperately.

12. TP
    April 16, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Any new update on the new ship for the Fall 2015 class?

13. Sara
    April 29, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I will be on the Fall 15 voyage. Very concerned that I do not know what ship I will be traveling on, how am I supposed to make payments for this upcoming semester when I don’t even know where I will be living for three months. Pretty shady way to do business… I signed up thinking I would be on the MV Explorer. Times ticking here.

14. Lauren Judge
    April 30, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Thank you for your comments. I responded to you each individually by email shortly after you posted, but please let me know if you have further questions.

We should have a signed contract for a new ship any day now. When we do, we will send out an announcement and update our website. We have adapted to many different shipboard campuses in our 51-year history, and we look forward to introducing you to our program’s sixth ship!

Lauren Judge
    Director of Public Affairs
    ljudge@isevoyages.org

15. Steven Spradling
    May 1, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I have been a part of this program since 1974 and I understand the anxiety mentioned above. I was 19 when I flew to LA to get on a ship I knew nothing about. All I had was excitement.

For you fortunate enough to be going on Fall 2015, I assure that the SAS team has faced much harder challenges than this and have always passed with flying colors.

Steven Spradling, Spring ’74

16. Eggs
    May 2, 2015 at 7:55 pm

So let me get this straight. When over a month ago i was told that the new ship was being reconfigured to accommodate the shipboard classes and community this was apparently not very accurate as a new ship has not been purchased yet. Hum, the advisiors should be given factual information. Please tell the employees truthful statements to pass on to parents.

17. KarenDowd
    May 7, 2015 at 10:03 pm

What are the prices of the cruises for lifelong learners–Spring 2016, Fall 2016 and Spring 2017? Thanks.

18. Ken Frappier
    May 14, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Prior to paying the Fall 2015 SAS tuition for my daughter I would like the following information:
    1) Specific vessel selected for the voyage and detailed information. A comparison to the prior vessel would be helpful.
    2) Precautions to be taken when traveling to Istanbul due to the ISIS hostilities, kidnappings, etc
    3) Why was Senegal kept on the schedule since prior blog shows it was removed due to Ebola concerns.

Thank you in advance for your prompt response
    Signed: Concerned Parent

19. claire westdahl
    May 18, 2015 at 7:48 pm

How much longer do we have to wait to learn the final details for Fall 15 including port of embarkation and ship details.

20. Katie
    May 19, 2015 at 12:16 am

Any update..at all? I’m confused how “any day now” has turned into weeks..we need to know where we will be living, especially before putting money into it.
    At least give us the size or make or anything, anything at all. We are all so excited and just want to plan our trips with the ship in mind! 🙂

21. William Simonet
    May 20, 2015 at 5:03 pm

The Brazilian visa application form for the Fall 2015 SAS trip asks for an address and hotel/ship name for the stay in Brazil. How can we provide this information on the visa application when we do not yet know the name of the ship?

22. Kristina
    May 21, 2015 at 10:39 am

Hello Everyone,

I see all your concerns about the new ship…as a past voyager what I would say is leave the worrying up to SAS and get ready to have the time of your life! SAS is truly one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had and you will be in great hands!

23. Phil
    May 22, 2015 at 6:54 am

Understand that the new vessel is MS “Deutschland” which was handed over to her new owner at Gibraltar on 19th May.