Institute for Shipboard Education Signs Colorado State University as New Academic Partner for Semester at Sea

lhanson
Jun 4, 2015

Education

SAS-CSU

The Institute for Shipboard Education (ISE) is joining with Colorado State University as the new academic home for Semester at Sea, in a partnership of two organizations focused on providing students with a college education that is a true voyage of learning and discovery.

A five-year agreement was signed on June 3, 2015 by Colorado State University and ISE, which is the parent organization of the globally renowned study abroad program Semester at Sea. Under the agreement CSU will provide academic, administrative, and student recruiting support for the shipboard program under a partnership that will officially begin on June 1, 2016. The Fall 2016 voyage of Semester at Sea will be the first through which participating students from a variety of universities will earn CSU credit for coursework that will transfer to their home institutions.

“CSU’s commitment to experiential learning and internationalization aligns with our core mission of a global comparative education,” said Kenn Gaither, President of the Institute for Shipboard Education. “This is the beginning of a rich and dynamic partnership that will offer great benefits to both institutions and our students.”

23017_01477Founded in 1870 as a land-grant institution, CSU combines intellectual classroom pursuits with hands-on experience in the field and laboratory— similar in approach to the Semester at Sea global comparative experiential learning model. As the recipient of the 2013 Senator Paul Simon National Award for Outstanding Campus Internationalization, its significant role in the founding of the Peace Corps, and its emphasis on the importance of diversity and global education, CSU is a natural partner for the SAS program.

“This new partnership is an ideal match. Education is a voyage of learning and discovery, and both Semester at Sea and Colorado State University provide exceptional, dynamic environments in which students can undertake their own learning voyage, “ said Tony Frank, President of Colorado State University. “That shared commitment to student achievement and innovative, globally engaged education makes this a wonderful fit, and we look forward to a strong and exciting collaboration.”

CSU becomes the fifth academic partner in Semester at Sea’s 51-year history, following current sponsor, the University of Virginia. The University of Virginia will continue as academic sponsor not to extend beyond May 2016. Over the next year, ISE will move its offices from Charlottesville, Virginia to the CSU campus in Fort Collins.

The university has seen an increasing number of students involved in education abroad, growing by 70 percent in the past five years. In addition, CSU has nearly 2,000 international students and scholars representing more than 90 countries on campus, and more than 20 percent of tenure-track faculty hail from other countries.

CubaThe new academic partnership is announced shortly after the unveiling of Semester at Sea’s new vessel, which will be renamed the World Odyssey for her role as the Semester at Sea campus. Currently named the Deutschland, she has been meticulously maintained since her construction in Germany in 1998 and will undergo routine dry-dock maintenance this summer. The World Odyssey meets the International Maritime Organization’s SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea), U.S. Coast Guard, and U.S. Public Health requirements, as well as all other statutory standards to operate throughout the world. For further information on the new ship, visit: www.semesteratsea.org/ship

Since its maiden voyage in 1963, Semester at Sea has sailed on 114 voyages on five primary floating campuses, and collaborated with four academic sponsors. SAS students have traveled to more than 60 countries through a program that has impacted the lives of more than 60,000 students from 1,700 colleges and universities worldwide.

1. Barabara Franklin
    June 4, 2015 at 11:19 am

Sounds great. Any chance of the adult inter-sessions being reinstated. My significant other and myself have gone on several. Barbara Franklin

2. Donald Heinz
    June 4, 2015 at 11:29 am

I can’t tell you how pleased I am with this. My wife and I both taught in the last semester with Pittsburg, then again with UVA. I think many people thought there was not a good fit with UVA, because of the significant differences in educational philosophy, the valuing of semester abroad programs, and the mentality at UVA. It seemed to many of us faculty that UVA thought it was too good for SAS.
    We would very much like to know the procedure for applying again to teach with SAS–in Fall 2016. If that information is available, please let us know.
    Donald Heinz, Religious Studies, former Dean, Humanities and Fine Arts, CSU Chico
    Carolyn Heinz, Anthropology, Whitman College and CSU Chico

3. Kim
    June 4, 2015 at 11:36 am

Great to see SAS coming back to a Colorado school.

4. Kim Ho
    June 4, 2015 at 12:00 pm

What kind of changes to courses/ field programs/ impact programs/ spring 2016 voyage does this partnership entail?

5. MaryBeth Pringle
    June 4, 2015 at 12:04 pm

This is very happy news–for SAS and for many more thousands of students.

6. Carla Wilson
    June 4, 2015 at 12:31 pm

My son Stephen Tancik is a CSU student who will be doing SAS starting January 2016. Will he lose any benefit of CSU credit, cost, etc by not waiting until CSU is an official sponsor beginning in June 2016? Thanks, Carla

7. Andrew Centofante
    June 4, 2015 at 2:31 pm

CSU accepts U.Va. credits, however, your son should work with his academic advisor to make sure that the credits will transfer to his major. Also, CSU students have a scholarship that is reserved for them that he may apply for, and he is able to apply for all of the SAS scholarships as well. Therefore, he will not lose any benefit by sailing on Spring 2016. Let us know if you have further questions.

8. CSU Education Abroad
    June 10, 2015 at 5:18 pm

The Education Abroad Office at CSU would be glad to speak with Stephen on the process of going on Semester at Sea. Credits are accepted at CSU provided they are approved by our Registrar’s Office and his academic advisor. SAS has long been an approved program for CSU students, so there are no benefits lost to Stephen by sailing under U.Va. We are excited to see him sail on the Spring 2016 voyage!

9. Carla Wilson
    June 4, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Is there any benefit for CSU students to wait until after June 2016 to do SAS?

10. Sarah Boyd
    June 4, 2015 at 12:42 pm

I am so glad to hear of this new alliance. I also hope there will be Inter Session opportunities.

11. Pamela L. Bridges
    June 7, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Good sailing with CSU. Please bring back the Enrichment Voyages. I took these voyages in 2012 and 2013. I recruited several friends to join me in 2013 and they were as excited about the total experience as I was.

12. Sandee Bennett
    June 4, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Much success to the staff and CSU. You will love the sunshine !!!!!

13. Waldtraut Lavroff
    June 4, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Please bring back the adult inter-session courses. I have participated in two of those,
    and I would go again. The new ship – the former ‘Deutschland’- should be a very suitable replacement for the current vessel which was showing some wear and tear. Waldtraut Lavroff, Ph.D.

14. Robert Howe
    June 4, 2015 at 2:34 pm

As a resident of Colorado, I am pleased to learn of this change. I want more information about mature adult options on voyages in 2016

15. dclifford
    June 5, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Please visit our website for more information about our Lifelong Learner Program!

16. Robert Carmichael
    June 4, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Welcome aboard to CSU, and continued future success for Semester-at-Sea—a life-changing educational adventure
    for students and faculty. Yes, I’d also be interested in adult mini-voyages and off-semester cruises. As always,
    great people and great places. From a former frequent voyager,
    Robert Carmichael (Univ. of Iowa)

17. Roane
    June 4, 2015 at 5:25 pm

As an alumni of both Semester At Sea (S88, F00, F06 & S11) and Colorado State University (MA SAHE Program), I am beyond thrilled of this partnership created! Bravo SAS & CSU~ this is going to be a great partnership~ I even dreamed about it~ love when dreams come true!

18. Matt Phillips
    June 4, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Go Ken!! As an alumni of both institutions (F92 voyage) – this makes me very happy. I think it’s a great fit by assisting ISE in supporting their mission and an excellent way for CSU to expand its international presence. I want to return as an ancient mariner!

19. del williams
    June 4, 2015 at 5:39 pm

Would also like very much to see you bring back the intersession trips. We only made one in the year before they were discontinued, but were impressed and expected to do another only to see them cancelled.

20. Bob Woodruff
    June 4, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Great. We were voyageurs on the next to last inter semester trip from Bahamas thru the Panama Canal to San Diego and had a wonderful education experience. Keep us informed. Any chance of using an inter semester voyage as a guinea pig first run?
    Bob Woodruff. Retired Organization Consultant and Educator

21. Mike Matthews
    June 4, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Congratulations to a new life for ISE and Semesters at Sea.
    I do hope you decide to re instate the Enrichment Voyages.
    I and many friends from Australia and around the world would join you in an instant.
    With kindest regards and good wishes for the future.
    In friendship
    Mike Matthews
    President
    Friendship Force
    Sunshine Coast
    Australia

22. Tom Hogarty
    June 4, 2015 at 10:30 pm

I sailed on the Fall 2009 voyage and will never forget it. I am so glad that ISE / SAS will continue. We all loved the Explorer but no matter what ship we sail the experience wil always be life changing.

23. sand
    June 5, 2015 at 8:40 am

What about the Enrichment Voyages…bring them back!

24. Kristina
    June 5, 2015 at 10:40 am

This is awesome! So proud of SAS, ISE and all the hard work you do to keep this amazing program alive!

25. Tobe Thompson
    June 5, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I agree whole heartedly with the requests to bring back the Enrichment Voyages. I sailed on the Costal Treasures Voyage (Europe) for four weeks in 2013 and loved it. I hate to think I won’t have more chances to see new destinations and make new friends the SAS way. Congrats on the new partnership.

26. Elizabeth
    June 6, 2015 at 3:08 am

Congratulations Colorado State University–you’ve done well indeed to acquire this program! I was a professor for SAS twice–and a lifelong learner twice, the experiences were indeed extraordinary. And I second that emotion–BRING BACK THE ENRICHMENT VOYAGES, they too were exquisite.

27. Hug0 Kottler
    June 6, 2015 at 9:12 am

Congratulations to CSU for assuming the academic partnership with ISE and Semester at Sea! I was a guest lecturer and discussion leader on the Enrichment Voyages in 2012 and 2013 and they were fabulous. Like many others, I was very disappointed when they were discontinued last year. I hope that with the new academic environment, plus the growing awareness that international continuing education is growing in its relevance to working and senior adults, that CSU will consider bringing back the Enrichment Voyages. With previous guest lecturers such as Julian Bond, Sandra Day O’Connor, William Webster and others, to name just a few, this program is a sure winner, and each of the voyages that I participated in were fully booked and, I would imagine, very profitable. I look forward to a new era of international education in the form of a CSU Enrichment Program at Sea!

28. Kevin Comiskey
    June 6, 2015 at 11:43 am

I am an alumni of both SAS (Spring ’92) and CSU (Spring ’93).
    I am so proud of both for striking this 5 year deal!

29. Judith Overcash
    June 6, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Thrilled!! The new ship and CSU seem an excellent fit! I began with SAS in F’91 when then husband was the geology prof. I have sailed two Christmas adventures through the Panama Canal (both directions) and the one to the Amazon where I was employed to do the children’s enrichment program. As a docent at the Salvador Dali Museum in St Petersburg, FL, I have given lectures on each of the adventures.
    F 14 I was hired to organize the Lifelong Learners Program, including the “family dinners” and due to very poor marketing at UVA we had a very small, but interesting group of LLL participants. I look forward to serving the program once again and will submit my application to our new academic provider very soon.

30. Peter Kleeman
    June 6, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Best wishes for success with the Semester at Sea program. I do hope you will also coordinate some between semester sailings. I have sailed on three Enrichment Voyages run through SAS and found them to great international learning adventures. I managed to visit ports in Central America, the Caribbean, Brazil, Europe, and North Africa. I would definitely plan to travel again on an enrichment voyage or something similar in the future. Do consider making these voyages available to those who cannot go on the semester voyages.

31. Kirby Day
    June 6, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Congratulations SAS and ISE —– what great news!!! As an alumnus of this tremendous program (Assistant to the Administrative Dean S82, F82, and S92 — I am so very thankful that others will continue to experience this educational opportunity of a lifetime. This is a good day!!!!

32. Frances Utt
    July 2, 2015 at 6:06 pm

My husband and I are so excited to see this program continuing with Colorado State. We have been long time supporters of SAS as well as taking around the world trip as part of the adult community. Also we have had two grandchildren that have graduated from Colorado State. We have also given all our grandchildren the opportunity to do a Semester at Sea program.