Your Passport to the World in Four Easy Steps
Embarking on a semester abroad takes a little extra effort but at Semester at Sea, we do everything in our power to provide you with a straight-forward and simple admission process. Follow these easy four steps to successfully navigate the admission process and start your own voyage of discovery.
Step 1: Application
In order to be considered for the Semester at Sea program you must first complete an online application. Semester at Sea operates on a rolling admission basis; therefore, there are no set application deadlines. However, we recommend applying as early as possible, up to one year in advance.
Visit your school’s study abroad or international programs office regarding specific requirements that may be in place for students studying abroad from your home school. International students applying to Semester at Sea should see this page for more specific instructions.
A completed file for admission consists of the following:
- A completed admissions application
- A short essay of 300-500 words
- A non-refundable application fee of $50
- All college-level transcripts
- A Disciplinary Clearance Form completed by your school’s judicial affairs office. Your signature provides the release for this information. The existence of a disciplinary record does not preclude your admission, but it will be considered in the overall evaluation of your application. If you have a disciplinary record, please submit a written statement explaining the events on your record.
- A letter or recommendation from a current college professor is strongly encouraged, but not required.
- Personal information you feel may be relevant to our admissions committee in reviewing your application (optional).
Step 2: Acceptance
After our admissions team receives all of the above information we begin reviewing these forms. Once a decision has been made concerning your application you will receive an email and a written letter confirming or denying your acceptance.
In keeping with the policies of the Institute for Shipboard Education and the academic sponsor, qualified students of any race, color, nationality, or ethnic origin are eligible candidates for admission.
Step 3: Confirmation Deposit
Academic admission to Semester at Sea does not automatically provide students with a confirmed space in the program. Upon notification of acceptance to the program, a $1000 deposit is required to reserve a cabin space. Further processing, such as awarding of financial aid and academic registration, cannot take place without the deposit, which is fully refundable up to 90 days before the voyage.