How to Safely Travel on Your own
Making your own travel arrangements in some countries can be a rewarding experience. However, we are also concerned about your safety and security. Field trips offered on Facebook or through third-party vendors, including other students, are not endorsed by Semester at Sea and we strongly advise against them. Many third-party organizers are not fully insured and do not meet the rigorous safety and quality standards provided by official Semester at Sea trips.
Things to Consider
As you consider independent travel as an alternative to some of the trips offered by SAS, please consider the following:
- Semester at Sea cannot be held responsible for any trips that you plan independently and is not able to endorse any providers.
- The student code of conduct applies to official SAS trips as well as independent travel.
- Consider your health and safety a top priority and be sure to use only the most reputable providers with the same rigorous safety procedures offered by the official SAS Excursions Listing.
- On rare occasions, arrival in a specific country might be delayed or cancelled entirely due to unforeseen circumstances. In these situations, official In-Country Excursions for that country are usually rearranged or, in many cases, the cost is reimbursed. Be sure that you negotiate similar terms for any trips you organize independently.
- When you compare costs, please know that, unless otherwise indicated, all official In-Country Excursions include all transportation starting and ending at the ship, all meals, accommodations, licensed guides, airfare, admission fees to various sites, airport transfers and gratuities.