News from the Helm
- Spring 2019
- 2018-19 Homecoming Voyage
- Fall 2018
- Spring 2018
- Fall 2017
- Spring 2017
- 2016-2017 Homecoming Voyage
- Fall 2016
- Spring 2016
- 50th Anniversary
- Fall 2012
- Fall 2013
- Fall 2014
- Fall 2015
- Short-Term 2012
- Spring 2011
- Spring 2012
- Spring 2013
- Spring 2014
- Spring 2015
- Summer 2012
- Summer 2013
- Summer 2014
Top-Ten Tuesdays: Chinese Wonders
We will take so many wonderful memories away from our six days in China, but here are some highlights from our two latest ports:
1. Arriving in Hong Kong to see the amazing skyline and the evening lightshow over the city – all visible from the decks of our very own MV Explorer’s berth in port!
2. Joining a field program out to Lantau Island to see an ancient fishing village and the world’s largest outdoor Buddha.
3. Visiting one of the world’s largest factory complexes in Shenzhen on mainland China and witnessing both the extraordinary growth of the Chinese manufacturing sector, as well of the realities of mass production organizations.
4. Cheering as some students were reunited with their parents who joined them on the Fall 2011 Parents’ Trip.
5. Participating in any of the several Semester at Sea trips that visited perhaps the most famous Wonder of the World – the Great Wall.
6. Seeing the terracotta warriors of Xi’an.
7. Taking a river cruise from Guilin to Yangshou and hiking the terraced rice fields of Longji in Southern China.
8. Exploring the gorgeous and tranquil Yu Yuan gardens of Shanghai, situated in the middle of the lively Old Town Bazaar.
9. Walking along the Bund in Shanghai and witnessing the remarkable evolution of the city. Across the river from this path, just twenty years ago everything in sight had been farmland. Now, it is one of the world’s must bustling financial centers.
10. Leaving China thrilled about the small part each of us was able to see, and excited to return for further adventures