Student Photos – Viet Nam and Cambodia

Communications Coordinator
Apr 5, 2012

Culture, Student Life

Student Photos – Viet Nam and Cambodia

Xin chào from Viet Nam and sues dei from Cambodia. The MV Explorer docked in Ho Chi Minh City for five days and students spread out to every corner of the two countries, from Hanoi in the north to Phnom Penh in the south. See the 15 top photos from the Spring 2012 port in Southeast Asia below.
Adam Bianchi, Baldwin-Wallace College
Iain MacDonald, Mount Allison University

Grace Loescher, Rollins College

Dain Marvel, Western Michigan University

Brian Scannell, Montana State University

Rob Thomas, Geology Professor, Univeristy of Montana-Western
Julie Beitzel, Southern Illinois University – Carbondale
Brian Scannell, Montana State University
Iain MacDonald, Mount Allison University
Dain Marvel, Western Michigan University
Kevin Sanders, Indiana University – Purdue University Fort Wayne

1. Justin
    April 5, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I am loving these photo collections … Can you guys add captions to give a little more context? I’d love to know more about the subjects in these shots … like city, name or whatever else.

2. Kyle
    April 9, 2012 at 2:09 am

The skulls picture is from Choeung Ek Killing Field in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. It was one of the sites where millions of people were murdered during Pol Pot’s reign of power during 1975-1979. During those four years, an estimated 3 million Cambodians were murdered (of an approximate 7 million total Cambodians living there at the time)

3. Jim Brandow
    April 5, 2012 at 6:34 pm

It is strange. When I was a kid in the 1960’s, my father would watch the news and most of it revolved around the Vietnam war. I would go to bed afraid after listening to all the horrors of war. Now my Daughter visits this country. She said what a beautiful place, as you can see with these pictures.

4. maggie thomas
    April 5, 2012 at 7:42 pm

What wonderful photos…..obviously much better cameras too! But the subject matter says it all…thank you!

5. Laurel Kerns-Hähn
    April 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm

People pictures are always the most revealing. Thank you for the Photos.

6. tammy williams
    April 8, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Want to thank all those who take the time to shoot and post wonderful photos. Makes me feel a little bit of what my daughter is experiencing. Await the next “album”!!

7. Bob Owen
    April 8, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Terrific photos- really National Geographic quality. I would love to see you compile these and even more from each stop into a souvenir booklet, file, or website at the end. Not everything, of course, but maybe the 200-300 best photos from the voyage (including some ship-board ones.) And a I agree with one of the other commenters- with captions.

Thanks to all the photographers and editors!

8. Sue Pierce
    April 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm

As always, the SAS students have done an extraordinary job at sharing your incredible experiences with us at home! We anxiously wait for the next photos to appear and commend you all for allowing us to experience just a few scenes from your incredible journey. Kevin, you never cease to amaze me !