In Memory of Dr. Milt Waldron

VP for Public Affairs
Jun 6, 2018

In Memory of Dr. Milt Waldron

Dr. Milt Waldron, a beloved member of the Semester at Sea family, passed away Tuesday night, surrounded by family and close friends. Dr. Waldron has been involved with the program since his daughter Cynthia (Cindy) Franquemont sailed in the mid-1980s. He sailed on a full voyage as the physician with his wife Betty in 1990 and subsequently sailed on 23 full or partial voyages since that time. “We added it up once, and we’ve spent over four-and-a-half years at sea,” Dr. Waldron once said. “Watching students mature and gain independence is one of the best parts of this program.”

The Waldrons have been generous and passionate supporters of Semester at Sea, funding the naming of the Waldron Clinic on the MV Explorer as well as a field program scholarship (the Milt and Betty Waldron Fund).

The Semester at Sea community lost an incredible man last night. To many who interacted with Dr. Waldron, he was more than someone who was always there to patch or mend scratches, broken bones, seasickness, concussions, travelers’ diarrhea, monkey bites, and homesickness; he was also a laugh-until-you-cry storyteller, die-hard Broncos fan, and dear friend to many. Dr. Waldron is survived by his wife, Betty, his son Brent, daughter-in-law Angela, daughter Cynthia (Cindy) Franquemont, son-in-law Doug Franquemont, and six grandchildren, Christopher, Daniel, Sarah, Logan, Dahlyn, and Cameron (in addition to countless shipboard extended family members). His presence on Semester at Sea impacted the lives of innumerable voyagers and will be felt for years to come. Please join the Institute for Shipboard Education and Semester at Sea voyagers in celebrating the life of someone who was such a compassionate and inspirational member of our community.

At the request of Betty and the rest of the Waldron family, family and friends are invited to celebrate Milt’s life during a memorial service on the 2018-2019 Homecoming Voyage aboard the MV World Odyssey.

1. Mary Thielemeir
    June 7, 2018 at 2:55 am

Thank you for this beautiful and touching tribute. Milt’s comments touch the heart of Semester at Sea and state with clarity who I too cherish this program and support it so others can share the experience.

2. Nick Iammarino
    June 7, 2018 at 6:38 am

Milt touched so many lives. I am a better person for having him as a colleague and friend. RIP my friend.

3. Kristie England
    June 7, 2018 at 11:14 am

I am saddened to hear of Milt’s passing. He was an incredible man and friend to all who knew him. My favorite memory of Milt was in 1995 during a Christmas Caribbean sailing. We were in Curacao amd he had just given a talk to the Passengers about what NOT to eat or drink in the port. I then went ashore with Betty and Milt to have lunch. We ended up having a bacon, lettuce and tomoto sandwich. Of course, these were all things Walt had listed as foods NOT to eat while in port. Needless to say, we all had a little belly ache. However, it didn’t stop us from finding a restaurant to watch the Steelers vs Cowboys Super Bowl game that night. What great memories! Rest in Peace, Milt. Love to your family.

4. Dwight Allison
    June 7, 2018 at 11:56 am

I’m heartbroken for Betty, the rest of his family, friends and thousands of future SAS voyagers who won’t have a chance to meet such a wonderful human being. He was much loved and will be much missed.

The Dash by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak at a funeral of a friend. He referred to the dates on the tombstone from the beginning…to the end.

He noted that first came the date of birth and spoke of the following date with tears, but said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time they spent alive on earth and now only those who loved them know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own, the cars..the house…the cash. What matters is how we lived and loved and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard; are there things you’d like to change? For you never know how much time is left that still can be rearranged.

To be less quick to anger and show appreciation more and love the people in our lives like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile…remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.

So when your eulogy is being read, with your life’s actions to rehash, would you be proud of the things they say about how you lived your dash?

Milt should be incredibly proud of his “Dash”.

5. Kenna Schoenherr
    June 8, 2018 at 1:01 am

Milt was a big part of my shipboard experiences. My deepest sympathies to Betty and the rest of the family. No one could give a port talk like Milt. I watch him work on both Semester voyages and Enrichment voyages and he was always an impressive addition to the talent shows. He was a delightful man. I am grateful to have known him.

6. Gary Little
    June 8, 2018 at 7:47 pm

Milt was simply the best – a true role model for how to live our personal, family and professional lives. Milt and Betty were a huge part of so many Semester at Sea experiences for so many students, faculty and staff. Thank you, Milt, and take care Betty. A life well lived and an unforgettable journey.

7. Les McCabe
    June 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm

I had the privilege and honor of being with Milt and family during his final moments last Tuesday. He left us the way he wanted to, with dignity, grace, and humor. Milt has been more then a friend, father, brother, etc., to me for over 28 years, and while I grieve his loss, I celebrate his spirit and the impact he had on the hundreds if not thousands of lives he touch during his time with us. There will be a memorial for family and friends on July 1, 2018 at the Younger Ranch in Monument Colorado at 10am, and as mentioned in this post thanks to the support of ISE President Gary Ransdell a special tribute and memorial for Milt during the alumni reunion voyage in January. I look forward to seeing many of you there as we celebrate Milt’s life.

8. Paul Adler
    June 10, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Beautiful video – thank you for posting. I fondly remember our conversations during the Summer 2005 voyage.

9. Jean Higgins
    July 13, 2018 at 4:14 am

what I remember most about Milt was the humor and creativity with which he presented info before shore leave. He was a tremendous asset for the program. I knew Betty better having been an adult coordinator. I grieve for her.

10. Becca Rowland
    July 30, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Milt was Semester at Sea. He embodied everything good about the program and was a true source of light and joy every time I was fortunate enough to be near him. I am heartbroken and send all my best to Betty.