Post Graduate Admission Requirements
While the Semester at Sea voyages are designed for undergraduate study, and the vast majority of participants will be in that undergraduate population, we do look at post-baccalaureate students on a case-by-case basis. Applicants are only eligible to participate on the program within a year following their undergraduate graduation, and are held to a higher standard of admission and should display exceptional academic records. Students currently matriculated in a Graduate/Master’s program are ineligible to participate as post-graduate students. You will participate full-time in the academic program alongside your undergraduate peers.
In addition to submitting the SAS standard application materials, there are a few additional admissions requirements for post-graduate applicants. Post-graduate applicants must:
- Demonstrate at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA in their undergraduate career
- Submit a strong statement of intent addressing the following:
- how Semester at Sea fits into your academic and career plans
- the role you plan to take on the voyage
- what you hope to gain from the experience
- specific courses you are interested in taking co-curricular or extracurricular activities you are interested in joining
- Submit one or more academic recommendation(s) addressing your candidacy as a post-baccalaureate applicant
- Submit one peer recommendation addressing your candidacy as a post- baccalaureate applicant (this is optional but encouraged)
- If admitted as a post-graduate student, you will also be required to sign an Academic Participation Signatory Statement
You are welcome to submit any additional supporting documentation, letters of recommendation, personal statements, etc. The more we know about you and why you wish to participate as a post-baccalaureate student, the stronger your application for admission.