Semester at Sea is committed to fostering a shipboard community inclusive of all identities. We are pleased to launch the Inclusive Engagement Scholarship as a means for student leaders to get involved in diversity and inclusion initiatives during and after their voyages, and to inspire prospective students from their communities to sail with Semester at Sea in the future.
Recipients will be expected to lead and foster inclusive practices and events within the shipboard community. Selected scholars will be required to post on social media 5 times during their voyage (public Instagram account required) and choose two tasks from the below menu to complete during their voyage.
- Collaborate on Community Programming with Residential Director for Diversity and Inclusion (examples: SEACards, student panels, privilege walk, movie screenings, etc)
- Welcome and mentor Interport students
- Lead an affinity group throughout the voyage (examples: Gay Straight Alliance, Black Student Union, Muslim Student Association etc)
- Social media feature/takeover on Instagram, Snapchat or other platform. (Selection for these opportunities are at the discretion of the Communications team on board.)
- Participate in the Vicarious Voyage Program throughout the voyage
- Two Written Reflection articles, one pre- and one post-voyage. 500 words each.