Traditional Undergraduate Student Requirements
Semester at Sea requires students to meet our standards to cultivate a learning experience worthy of traveling the world. We welcome students of any sex, gender identity, race, disability status, veteran status, nationality, or ethnicity, to apply for admission. Please take a moment to review what we are looking for in a student.
- Students must be enrolled full-time in a degree-granting program at an accredited college/university (domestic or international)
- Students must have completed at least one full term at the post-secondary level
- Students must demonstrate at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA and be in good academic standing, although in some cases, additional evidence of academic support may be requested to review an application holistically
- Students must have their school’s judicial affairs office complete a disciplinary clearance form at time of application
- Students must demonstrate their writing skills in a 300-500 word essay as indicated on the application
Non-Traditional Student Requirements
SAS Admission in 5 Steps!
Traditional Undergraduate student can earn Semester at Sea Admission in 5 easy steps!
Apply Online Here.
SAS operates on a rolling admission basis; therefore, there are no set application deadlines. However, we recommend applying as early as possible. A completed application includes an optional 300-500 word essay and a non-refundable application fee of $50.
In order to learn more about our future voyagers, we need a few extra documents to review your application.
-All college-level transcripts
-A disciplinary clearance form completed by your school’s judicial affairs office.
-An academic letter of recommendation (optional)
Get Admitted and Pay your Deposit!
Whohooo! Once’e you’ve earned admission, you’ll need to pay your $1,000 deposit in order to secure your cabin for the voyage. The deposit is considered the first payment towards your voyage and will be applied to your program fees. A full refund of the deposit is available up until the posted final payment deadline (~90 days) for your voyage.
Semester at Sea awards over $5 million in financial aid each year. As a non-profit, we rely on donations from generous alumni and friends in order to provide grants and scholarships for eligible students. Explore here.
Official voyage prep begins 5 months prior to your voyage set-sail sail date. Until then, you can start connecting with future voyagers and with SAS alumni on social media! Connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter using #semesteratsea.