- Art 492A: Seminar: Art History
This is a great alternative to the city orientation if you really want to see the Chinese culture in Viet Nam.
Driving along Cho Lon’s (Chinatown) streets, a thickly settled district with lots of old-style shop houses, colorful pagodas and temples, each with their own flavor.
Spend time riding around the area on your own cyclo, you will pass by Cho Lon or Binh Tay markets (the market is closed on this day due to renovation) to learn from the guide bout the culture of Chinese commune before visiting an historically significant church, the oldest Chinese built pagoda in the city (Thien Hau Temple), and the Quan Am Pagoda. Your guide will explain the merit of making a donation and lighting your own incense coil or placing a pink donation slip inside the pagoda.
- 08:00 Depart from Pier
- 08:00 – 08:30 Drive from Pier to China Town
- 08:30 – 09:30 Cyclo ride through the town included stop to visit Cha Tam church
- 09:30 – 09:45 Continue cyclo ride to Thien Hau pagoda
- 09:45 – 10:30 Visit to Thien Hau temple
- 10:30 – 11:15 Take a short walk and visit to Quan Am pagoda
- 11:15 – 11:30 Drive to a local coffee shop
- 11:30 – 12:15 Have Vietnamese coffee and free time for discussion
- 12:15 – 12:30 Drive back to the pier
Casual wear should cover shoulder and knees for temple and pagoda visiting.
Update: The Binh Tay market will be closed for renovations during our port stay, so this no program will no longer be able to visit this market.