- Art 492A: Seminar: Art History
- GR 330: Urban Geography
- NR 355: Contemporary Environmental Issues
- RRM 400: Food and Society
- PHIL 172 500: Religions of the East
- HIST 465: Pacific Wars: Korea and Vietnam
- ECON 202: Principles of Macroeconomics
- MGT 475: International Business Management
- NR 370: Coastal Environmental Ecology
- JTC 430: Advanced Digital Documentary Photography
*Attention: 1 passport-size photo and $40USD cash is required for a Cambodian Visa. You may also need additional blank pages in your passport.
Depart from Saigon early this morning for Cu Chi tunnel. This is followed by lunch at a nearby restaurant and then heading to the Viet Nam – Cambodia border crossing. At the other side of the border, our representative will greet and escort you to the Cambodia’s capital. The beginning part overland border crossing is a great opportunity to observe the culture and scenery changes from Vietnam land to Cambodia land. On the way to the border, a stop to visit the famous Cu Chi tunnel is also a nice point to start your trip.
This program mainly provides you a general experience about Cambodia country including their culture & arts, their history, their culinary and people. Phnom Penh, capital of Cambodia, was once considered the loveliest of the French-built cities of Indochina. Its charm is still evident until now such as the Royal Palace, despite the violence and destruction during and immediately following the Viet Nam War. The Khmer Rouge took over the city in April 1975 and immediately ushered in one of the darkest periods of time in the city’s history. Siem Reap is another story about the lost civilization. Angkor is an incomparable temple complex built between seven and 11 centuries ago at the height of the Khmer civilization. The ruins represent successive capitals constructed by a dozen Khmer kings, which included massive stone temples, majestic causeways and imposing towers. You will visit the most famous temple complex, Angkor Wat which is considered to be one of the most inspired and spectacular monuments ever conceived by the human mind. The Bayon Temple of the complex is an edifice of 54 towers, each carved with the four enigmatic faces of the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara and bas-relief events. Kbal Spean, a spectacularly carved riverbed, set deep in the jungle to the northeast of Angkor. More commonly referred to in English as the ‘River of a Thousands Lingas’, the name actually means ‘bridge head,’ a reference to the natural rock bridges at the site. Banteay Srei, the citadel of women – a tiny, enchanting temple, which is one of the jewels in this remarkable city. Built of red sandstone in the tenth century and dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva, the carved male and female figures in the niches are exquisitely executed in both style and proportion.
*All times are approximate and subject to change. Please be flexible.
- 07:45 Depart from Saigon port to pier to board speed boat
- 08:00 – 09:30 Speedboat drive to Cu Chi tunnel (1.5 hour)
- 09:30 – 11:30 Visiting Cu Chi tunnels
- 11:30 – 12:30 Lunch at local restaurant
- 12:30 – 13:30 Overland drive toward Vietnam (Moc Bai) – Cambodia (Bavet) border
- 13:30 – 17:30 Vietnamese guide will assist the group to do check-out process. After then, walk on your own toward Cambodia immigration office on the opposite site and finish check-in process. Get out of Bavet border to meet DA CAM’s representative for the transfer to Phnom Penh (3-hour drive)
- 17:30 – 18:00 Arrive hotel and check in
- 19:00 – 20:00 Dinner at hotel
- Breakfast at hotel and check-out
- 08:10 – 08:20 Depart from hotel to visit The Royal Palace
- 08:20 – 09:20 Visit to Royal Palace / Silver Pagoda
- 09:20 – 09:40 Drive to visit the Toul Sleng Genocide Museum
- 09:40 – 10:40 Visit Toul Sleng Museum.
- 10:40 – 11:25 Depart to Killing Field – Choeung Ek
- 11:25 – 12:25 Visit to Killing Field – Choeung Ek
- 12:25 – 13:00 Transfer to local restaurant
- 13:00 – 14:00 Lunch at local restaurant
- 14:00 – 14:45 Transfer to Airport for flight to Siem Reap
- 17:30 Meet your guide in Siem Reap and transfer to hotel in Siem Reap for check-in
- 19:00 Transfer for Dinner and cultural dance show
- Early breakfast at hotel
- 07:00 – 08:30 After breakfast, you will drive to visit Kbal Spean.
- 08:30 – 11:30 Visit Kbal Spean – the ‘River of a Thousands Lingas,’ (3km trekking totally)
- 11:30 – 12:00 Transfer to Banteay Srei
- 12:00 – 13:30 Visit Banteay Srei, the citadel of women
- 13:30 – 13:45 Drive to Landmine Museum of Mr. Aki Ra
- 13:45 – 14:30 Visit to the Landmine Museum http://www.cambodialandminemuseum.org/
- 14:30 – 15:30 Transfer to Angkor Wat
- 15:30 – 18:30 Visit Angkor Wat and appreciate sunset over the temple (3-hour visit)
- 18:30 Transfer back to hotel
- Your free leisure tonight – dinner on your own expense
- Breakfast at hotel
- 07:00 – 11:00 Transfer to visit Angkor Thom with Elephant Terrace, the Terrace of Leper King, Bayon Temple. Then continue to visit Ta Prohm.
- 11:00 – 12:00 Transfer to REP airport for flight to Saigon. Light lunch at local restaurant en route.
- 15:30 Upon return to Saigon, meet your local guide then transfer to the SGN port
Casual clothes are recommended since you will get dirty while crawling in the tunnel
Clothes should cover shoulder and knees for temples visiting
Hat, sunscreen, bug spray is recommended
The two sites Toul sleng Museum & Cheung Ek killing Field, are grim reminders of the extermination policies carried out by the Khmer Rouge. If you choose to participate in these visits, be prepared for some gruesome and depressing sights.