- Art 492A: Seminar: Art History
- GR 330: Urban Geography
A city of lakes, parks and colonial mansions, Ha Noi retains much of its historical charm and, with an eclectic mix of Asian tempo and French refinement, Vietnam’s capital is a city to be savored. The labyrinthine streets of Ha Noi’s Old Quarter are the ideal place in which to wander and observe daily life. Here street traders jostle for space on the sidewalks and crumbling houses are crammed into narrow alleyways that are still named after the goods that were traded there – Silk Street, Gold Street and even Fried Fish Street! A stroll around West Lake reveals a different side of the city and nearby you will find the sombre Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, which is usually crowded with Vietnamese of all ages wishing to show their respects. Ha Noi is steeped in history from the ‘Hanoi Hilton’, the infamous Hoa Lo Prison where so many prisoners of war were incarcerated, to the religious pride that constructed the 11th century Temple of Literature, the heart of the Confucian education system. Ha Noi is a delightful city of contrasts and the ideal city in which soak up the ebb and flow of life in Vietnam.
In addition to visiting Ha Noi, which arguably has become one of the most interesting cities in Southeast Asia, this trip explores one of the natural wonders of the world – the magnificent Ha Long Bay. The bay’s tranquil beauty encompasses 1,500-square miles dotted with more than 1,000 limestone islands and islets. Bizarre rock sculptures jut dramatically from the sea, and numerous grottoes have created a picturesque setting. 2-day cruise Halong Bay tours attract travelers who wish to experience the natural wonder of this World Heritage site with lime-stone mountains, emerald waters and unforgettable moments. Take a short yet insightful trip to one of the most magnificent destinations in Vietnam aboard a charming cruise. Revel in the tranquility of the natural seascape surrounded by over 3,000 islands and rocky outcrops. Start off your day Halong Bay style, allowing the peacefulness of Tai Chi to calm you down. Then, enjoy a remarkable culinary experience before witnessing a spectacular view you’ll never forget, the serene sunset over the Bay.
*All times are approximate and subject to change. Please be flexible.
- 06:00 Departure transfer from Nha Rong Port to Ho Chi Minh City Airport for flight to Hanoi
- 11:00 – 12:00 Meet your guide then transfer to Ethnology Museum
- 12:00 – 13:00 Visit Ethnology museum
- 13:00 – 14:00 Transfer to and having lunch at local restaurant in Hanoi
- 14:00 – 15:15 Visit Ho Chi Minh Complex
- 15:15 – 16:30 Transfer & Visit Temple of Literature & Quan Thanh temple
- 16:30 – 17:30 Transfer and visit Hoa Lo museum
- 17:30 – 18:30 Check-in at your hotel & free leisure time
- 18:30 – 19:30 Dinner at a local restaurant
- 20:00 – 20:45 Enjoy water puppet show.
- Breakfast at hotel
- 08:30 – 12:00 depart for overland drive to Tuan Chau island for boarding the traditional junk boat.
- 12:45 – 13:00 Welcome drinks and a quick briefing of the itinerary and safety information
- 13:00 – 14:00 Let the vacation begin with a lunch buffet as the boat cruises towards South East Halong Bay, passing by Chicken Rock, Finger Islet, and Frog Islet.
- 15:00 – 17:30 join with junk’s staff to collect garbages in faraway area in Bai Tu Long bay, which is not well monitored by local authorities.
- 17:30 – 18:30 Enjoy your free time for swimming & kayaking at Vung Ha beach (kayak is included)
- 18:30 – 19:30 Cooking demonstration with traditional Vietnamese food on the sundeck (or in the restaurant if weather does not allow).
- 19: 30 Set menu dinner will be served in the restaurant.
- 21: 00 Free time to be spent watching a movie in the restaurant, squid fishing at reception, or relaxing at the bar.
- Overnight on board of Bhaya boat (Subject to availability)
- 06:15 Early start for a Tai Chi demonstration on the sundeck; tea and coffee available.
- 09:00 – 09:30 Back to main boat for check out: please put your baggage out to the corridor and settle your bill at reception.
- 09:30 – 10:30 Buffet brunch will be served in the restaurant while the boat heads back to harbor.
- 10:30 – 11:00 Continue to explore the bay till mid-afternoon then cruise back to pier
- 11:00 – 14:30 Disembark to Tuan Chau Marina and depart for Hanoi airport (3.5hrs) for flight back to Saigon. Light snack provided en route
- Upon arrival in Saigon, transfer to Nha Rong Port.
Casual wear should cover shoulder and knees for temple visiting
Hats, sunscreen, swim suits are recommended