- Art 492A: Seminar: Art History
- GR 330: Urban Geography
Until the 16th century, the Mekong Delta was an area of marshlands and forest. Gradually, marshlands were reclaimed and a canal network was built for the cultivation of rice, fish, soybeans, maize, peanuts, tobacco and melons. Cai Be area is famous for its coconut palms and fruit orchards (mangoes, longans, bananas and citrus fruits). A highlight of this trip is a boat ride on the Mekong River to observe the active river life. Your boat trip takes you to one of the islands in the Mekong Delta to see a traditional farmer’s home and fruit orchards where you will have the opportunity to sample exotic tropical fruits, interact with local people and walk through the village. Spend the night at a comfortable home-stay and join the host to prepare your dinner. On the next day, visit Heifer’s project & meet the farmers. Heifer Viet Nam (HVN) is a branch of Heifer International. Starting its small-scale animal projects in some provinces of the Mekong Delta between 1987 and 1992, HVN began developing its coverage across 27 provinces stretching from the North, the Central and the South of Viet Nam from 1992 to 2003. In 2003, HVN was granted an operation permit and established its office in Can Tho city. In 2007, HVN began to incorporate the Values-Based Holistic Community Development model (VBHCD) into the projects and to strengthen the 12 Cornerstones – the key success of every project. Target people of HVN are the needy families, Agent Orange victims, ethnic minorities and marginalized people living in disadvantaged communities.
As the capital of the Mekong Delta, Can Tho is the largest town in the delta and its name translates, romantically as the “River of Poems.” At the heart of Vietnam’s rice bowl, Can Tho is perfectly positioned to explore the Delta’s vibrant floating markets and explore the myriad waterways. In addition to several pagodas Can Tho has an attractive cathedral, pleasant promenade and bustling night market. The Mekong Delta was annexed from the Khmers in the late 18th century and continues to be influenced by Cambodia. You will have this opportunity to visit a Khmer pagoda in Mekong delta before heading back to Ho Chi Minh city.
*All times are approximate and subject to change. Please be flexible.
- 07:30 – 10:00 Depart Nha Rong Port for drive to Cai Be (approx. 2.5hrs)
- 10:00 Arrive Cai Be township and board local boat for journey across the Mekong to nearby islands. Enjoy a walk along riverbank through local communities, passing schools, a small church and rice mills before re-joining the boat to continue journey through the maze of tributaries. Lunch at local house en-route.
- 14:30 Walk to visit surrounding villages and interact with kids and locals
- 18:00 Group is helping the owner to prepare for your dinner
- Overnight at Ut Trinh homestay
- 07:00 – 09:30 Have early breakfast and walk along the village to enjoy the fresh air in the morning. Boat trip to visit the brick kilns where you can see how the local people create beautiful potteries from clay. Our boat will go along the floating village. We will learn how to farm catfish on Mekong river. Also, we can visit Vinh Long market in the town. This is the best choice for you to take pictures of fish, shrimps, prawns, crabs, snakes, rice-field rats, tropical fruits, vegetables, etc.
- 09:30 – 12:30 Meet Heifer’s representative at Vinh Long pier. Start to visit Heifer’s project & meet the farmers.
- 12:30 – 13:30 Transfer to Can Tho city
- 13:30 – 14:30 Having lunch at local restaurant then transfer to hotel for check-in
- 14:30 – 15:30 Hotel check-in and leisure time
- 15:30 – 18:30 Drive to Cai Son for biking in this commune to appreciate sunset.
- 19:00 – 20:00 Dinner at local restaurant
- 05:30 Depart from hotel for transfer to Ninh Kieu pier
- 05:30 – 07:30 Boat trip visit Cai Rang floating market.
- 07:30 – 09:30 Transfer back to hotel for breakfast then check out
- 09:30 – 10:15 Transfer and visit an Khmer Pagoda
- 10:15 – 10:45 Transfer to Binh Thuy
- 10:45 – 11:15 Visit Binh Thuy ancient house
- 11:15 – 11:45 Transfer to local restaurant in Can Tho for lunch
- 12:00 – 16:00 Drive back to Saigon – Nha Rong port
Casual wear should cover shoulder and knees for temple visiting
Hat, sunscreen, bug spray is recommended