- MKT 300: Principles of Marketing
- ECON 460: Economic Development
- POLS 435: United States Foreign Policy
- ANTH 340: Medical Anthropology
- MGT 360: Social and Sustainable Venturing (Section 1)
- SOC 333: Gender and Society
- PHIL 366: Philosophy of Aging
- D 110: Understanding Dance
- AM 250: Clothing, Adornment and Human Behavior
Begin the homestay program with a drive to Senase in the Brong Ahafo Region. During the 7 hour drive, stop for lunch at the Kumasi Cultural Centre restaurant. During this break, take the opportunity to taste a variety of Ghanaian local food and stroll through the market while browsing handmade crafts from all over Ghana and West Africa. When you arrive at Senase, you will be warmly welcomed and enjoy dinner with your host family. Afterward, interact with the locals, both kids and adults while learning more about the village.
Accompany the students on their way to school before enjoying breakfast with the students. The school is Semanhyiya American School (SAS) built by the GodFreds Foundation. The name — which means “If we had never met…” — is intended to share the acronym with Semester at Sea. After breakfast, join the students during the SAS Fly (morning assembly). Spend the morning in classes assisting with teaching and engaging with some creativity and music and dance. Throughout the morning exchange ideas about the educational systems with teachers.
Help supervise the students during their lunch, and then enjoy a traditional meal. Lunch will be Red Red, one of the favorite foods of past SAS students. After school, continue the fun by accompanying the students on their way home and reflect on the day at SAS. Back at your host family, take a couple of hours rest, if needed. Before dinner, meet as a group to reflect on your experience, share feelings, opinions and ideas. After dinner, enjoy the Ghanaian nightlife at a nearby city before driving back to Senase for a sound night’s sleep.
The next morning, wake-up early for morning a jog or walk to Berekum, the Municipal capital. Get energized with breakfast before a full day of service and activities at the Semanhyia American School. Transfer to the school and begin service work including construction and painting as a way to give back to this wonderful community. Enjoy lunch at the school and take a break. Spend the afternoon learning cultural drumming and dancing. After school, enjoy some rest time before meeting for a reflection session. Enjoy dinner and experience the village nightlife before retiring to your host family. On the final morning, wish farewell to your host family and make the scenic drive back to Accra. Enjoy lunch at Linda Door before arriving back at the ship.
- Scenic drive to Senase Village (~7 hours)
- Lunch and market tour at Kumasi Cultural Centre
- Warm welcome from homestay family
- Dinner with host family
- Accompany students to school
- Assist teachers and students in classrooms
- Discuss educational systems with teachers
- Traditional Ghanaian lunch at the school
- Engage in a reflection session
- Dinner with host family
- Evening at nearby city
- Morning service project at school
- Traditional lunch
- Afternoon drumming and dancing workshop
- Reflection session before dinner
- Farewell to host families
- Scenic drive back to the ship
- Breakfast x 3
- Lunch x 4
- Dinner x 3