- NRRT 320 International Issues in Recreation and Tourism
- HIST 466 U.S.-China Relations Since 1800
- IE 471 Children and Youth in Context
- HDFS 302 Marriage and Family Relationships (Section 1)
Xi’an, the eternal city, and Beijing, the capital and second-largest city, are home to some of China’s most breath-taking scenery and world-famous historical landmarks. In this five-day tour, you’ll enjoy the sights, sounds, and people that give China its rich cultural heritage.
One of the world’s four ancient civilization capitals, Xi’an is home to the Terra Cotta Warriors Museum, and the magnificent Xi’an City Wall. Before heading to Beijing, you will visit the Great Mosque and Old Bazaar as well as have a Chinese calligraphy lesson at the Tang Dynasty Art Museum, and enjoy a dinner show by the Tang Dynasty Song and Dance Troupe.
On your first day in Beijing, experience a pedicab (3-wheeled bicycle) ride through Hutong and enjoy tea and Chinese dumplings (jiaozi) with a local family. A lucky guest may find a coin in one dumpling that will bring good fortune to them for the New Year! Downtown, Tiananmen Square – the largest public square in the world – and the Forbidden City, or Imperial Palace, lead to a fascinating display of Chinese history in one of the best-preserved sites of Classical Chinese architecture. Later, stand on the Great Wall and watch it snake its way over the mountaintops, before taking a toboggan ride down. On the final day, before flying back to Shanghai, explore the Summer Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and take in the sites of the beautiful gardens and Kunming Lake.
Please note: It will be COLD in Beijing. Be prepared with warm clothing and footwear.
“This program was amazing. To be able to see so much of China in so few days was truly amazing. I enjoyed the variety of activities and the itinerary.” – Sp’15 Voyager
- Meet your guide and travel Xian
- Explore the Ancient City Wall, Great Mosque, and Old Bazaar
- Enjoy a dim sum dinner at a local restraurant
- Visit the Terra Cotta Warriors Museum
- Learn Chinese calligraphy at Tang Dynasty Art Museum
- Visit the Big Wild Good Pagoda
- Enjoy the Tang Dynasty Dinner Show
- Fly to Beijing
- In the afternoon, visit Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, and explore Beijing’s hutongs via rickshaw
- Dumpling (Jiaozi) dinner with local family
- In the morning, explore the Temple of Heaven
- After lunch at a local restaurant, visit the Great Wall of China
- Retire to your hotel after dinner at a local restaurant
- Spend the morning at the Summer Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- After lunch, fly back to Shanghai, and return to the ship
1.5hours driving distance to Great Wall
1.5hours driving distance to Terra Cotta Warriors Museum