Parents of Fall 2017 Voyager issue statement

lhanson
Nov 7, 2017

Parents of Fall 2017 Voyager issue statement

Chalene and Dave Braun, parents of Kassandra (Kassie) Braun, issued the following statement following Kassie’s death today, November 7, 2017:

The family is absolutely devastated by the tragic death of their daughter and sister, Kassandra “Kassie” Braun. They are still waiting for further details about what happened but would like everyone to know that Kassie was having the time of her life on Semester at Sea and was living her dream.  She was so full of life and love, gave so much to so many. She had a tremendous love for her friends and teachers at Cathedral High School and St. Edward’s University.  She lived life the Holy Cross way hoping to someday give back as was given to her. Kassie’s family greatly appreciates the outpouring of love and support they have received and requests privacy as they mourn their loss and make arrangements for Kassie’s repatriation.

1. Margarita Maria Lenk
    November 7, 2017 at 11:58 pm

We hold your whole community of family and friends in our hearts, our prayers, and share your sadness. Your posting illuminates with the love and grace within and between you; together this will bring courage and strength and acceptance during this most horrible of tragedies. Margarita Maria Lenk, SaS professor, Fall 2016.

2. Dale Hoff
    November 8, 2017 at 12:04 am

Heartfelt thoughts and prayers for you and your family as well as for all the many friends and connections Kassie undoubtedly made with her shipboard community.
    Peace,
    Dale Hoff F’2016

3. Michael Neff
    November 8, 2017 at 1:26 am

Your family in in our prayers tonight.

Mike Neff ‘88 alum

4. Patricia
    November 8, 2017 at 2:02 am

You have lost a shining star. Thinking of you and your family.

5. Liz Hartford
    November 8, 2017 at 2:43 am

Dearest Braun Family
    Our hearts ache for you. We have a daughter on this trip also sharing feelings similar to Kassie. Words cannot touch this harsh contrast. May god hold Kassie in his arms and provide you the support you need.
    Fellow SAS Parent

6. Anneliese (Lee) Krauter
    November 8, 2017 at 6:26 am

I am shrouded in sadness tonight. Praying for you Chalene and all the family. Please know that hearts filled with love and compassion are hovering all around you and God will keep you. That’s his promise.

7. Lilly and Vinny Lattuca
    November 8, 2017 at 2:28 pm

Mr Mrs Braun. Our prayers are with you and your family for the loss of your beautiful daughter Kassie. We cant imagine the pain of your loss , and yes she was living out her dream and that is something you can hold onto. Our grand daughter Kendall Bryant is also on the ship and knowing Kendall the way we do her heart is broken for all the Braun family. Peace be with you.
    Lilly and Vinny Lattuca

8. Sue Rodriguez
    November 8, 2017 at 5:13 pm

My daughter Kellie who attends Chapman University is on this trip. My deepest sympathies for your loss. I cannot even imagine what you are going through. It sounds as if she was living her dream. May your memories of your daughter help you through this very difficult time.

9. Amy and jerry pims
    November 9, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Our granddaughter is participating in the current sas program and had met your daughter kassie. My husband and i want to send you our sincere regrets on the loss of your daughter kassie our hearts are crying with you.

10. Judy Snyder
    November 9, 2017 at 10:11 pm

My granddaughter, Julia, is on this SAS trip and didn’t know Kassie well but is shaken by her accident and death. Please know I’m keeping your family in prayer. These kids are truly living out their dreams on this trip and tragedy is the farthest notion but it sounds like Kassie was having the time of her life and was making you proud of her in so many ways. My sincerest sympathy goes out to you.

11. Lynn Parker
    November 10, 2017 at 12:39 am

Condolences to the family and friends of Kassie. I am sad to,learn of the passing of such a young, bright, hopeful, happy, loving daughter.

SAS, Alum F85

12. Kathleen (Wolf) Travis Spring ‘96
    November 10, 2017 at 12:44 am

I am so very sorry to hear this news. Words cannot express what you must be feeling. I hope you can take some comfort in the support of those surrounding you. My heart aches with you. Sending love and prayers to her friends and entire family.

13. Roy Munoz
    November 10, 2017 at 12:58 am

Dearest Braun Family,
    My heart is heavy just hearing the news about your daughter, Kassie. I will pray for your strength through this time. It brings me comfort knowing that Kassie was enjoying herself and exploring God’s masterpiece we call the world.
    -Roy Munoz, Fall 2002

14. Kerri Fenton
    November 10, 2017 at 1:04 am

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Braun,
    My parents and I are so very sorry for the loss of your daughter. Kassie and your family are in our prayers. I cannot fathom the hardship you are experiencing; however, I can speak first hand to the immense joy Semester at Sea gave her before her passing. I’m happy she had the experience that many who live a full life never had, and I’m so hurt that her life was taken too soon. Praying your daughter is at peace. Kerri Fenton SAS Spring 09

15. Kristin Dobbs -Spring 95'
    November 10, 2017 at 1:40 am

May her memory be eternal and may you find strength to take things day by day. I’m devistated with you. From a shipmate who lost a fellow student passenger on our voyage, I can assure you that your family will be in the heavy hearts of every person on that ship.

16. Maria Kahn
    November 10, 2017 at 1:57 am

We are so deeply saddened to hear about this tragedy and we are sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Kassie’s family, friends and community.

17. Mohindar and Devinder Poonian
    November 10, 2017 at 2:41 am

Dear Braun family. Our hearts are filled with sadness and understand the pain you are feeling at the loss of your beautiful and vibrant daughter. Our granddaughter from USD is on the ship and is just heartbroken and is realizing how precious and unpredictable the life is. Although, the kids did not know each other before embarking on this journey but soon they became a part of a one big family – the sas community. They were all having a time of their life at every stop – Kassie touched many hearts on the ship and will always be remembered. Our heartfelt sympathies for the untimely loss of your daughter.

18. LaVann Landrum
    November 10, 2017 at 2:49 am

My son is a student on the ship and knew Kassie. I wanted to send our deepest condolences. She sounds like a beautiful person and your comments speak to wonderful relationships. I have shed many tears over the tragedy of her loss. I have been and will continue to pray for your family.
    LaVann Landrum

19. Ronne Page
    November 10, 2017 at 3:13 am

I am a former student/voyager from Fall ‘91. Your entire family, and friends, are in my thoughts.. I have no words to console you, but I wanted to reach out to let you know the SAS Family is always here for you. Your daughter was a part of something VERY special. We are all here for your family. Prayers and Love. Ronne Page. F ‘91.

20. Geri Krumsick
    November 10, 2017 at 5:54 am

My son did a SAS trip several years ago and I recently lost his father. I cannot imagine your sorrow at the loss of your daughter. Please accept my sympathies and prayers for Kassie, her family, and friends during this difficult time.

21. Sara Doss Geoghegan
    November 10, 2017 at 6:24 am

What an amazing opportunity you gave your daughter!! She saw the world!
    Thinking of you. The sunrise, sunsets and moon are amazing on the ship. I hope when you see the moon you see her smiling down on you.

Sara Doss spring ‘00

22. Lisa Bibbiani
    November 10, 2017 at 10:49 am

God bless you and your family at this time. Our prayers and strength to get through the tough days ahead. Safe travel for the sas family on the rest of the journey.

23. T
    November 10, 2017 at 7:27 pm

My prayers and thoughts are with your family. It is small comfort, but she really was living a dream.

Fall 12 alumna

24. Jen Bonicelli Carmichael, Spring 98
    November 11, 2017 at 12:22 am

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. My deepest condolences for you loss.

25. Wendy Kumpf
    November 12, 2017 at 7:04 pm

My daughter is going on SAS in the spring. I’m heart-broken by the news of your precious daughter and hope she is at peace and feeling all the love being poured out for her and your family. You will forever be in my prayers. God bless during this time.

26. Sophie
    November 12, 2017 at 9:16 pm

To Chalene and Dave and the rest of Kassie’s family: God’s Love and Christ’s Peace to you as you grieve the loss of your precious Kassie. She was a lovely gift to our world and her love and life will be remembered by all who knew her.
    Spring 2015

27. R.O.
    November 13, 2017 at 4:36 am

To the family of Kassandra with my deepest sympathy. May you find comfort in knowing that one day there will be no more sorrow for God “will wipe out every tear from your eyes, and death will be no more” Revelation 21:3,4

28. Fall 2011 Alum
    November 13, 2017 at 8:07 pm

My prayers and thoughts are with your family. I can’t imagine the emotions that result when one day your daughter is living her wildest dreams and exploring places unknown, and the next moment there is tragedy. I hope God holds you close in this time of difficulty.

29. John L
    November 15, 2017 at 7:11 pm

So sorry for your loss. Kassie sounds like a wonderful young lady. Keeping you all in our prayers.