Semester at Sea requires college students to meet our standards to cultivate a learning experience worthy of traveling the world.
We welcome students of any sex, gender identity, race, disability status, veteran status, nationality, or ethnicity to apply for admission. Please take a moment to review what we are looking for in a college student.
How to Apply
Here’s what you need to apply to SAS as an undergraduate student.
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Students
- Enrolled full-time in a degree-granting institution
- Completed at least 12 credits at the post-secondary level
- Preferred cumulative GPA of 2.5 out of 4.0. If needed, our team will complete a GPA conversion as part of the review process.
- If below a 2.5, additional evidence of academic support may be requested to review an application holistically, such as an academic explanation and an academic letter of recommendation.
- In good academic standing and not on disciplinary probation at the time of embarkation
English Language Proficiency Requirements
Students whose first language is not English, or whose current university curriculum is not taught in English, must provide an English language proficiency test score:
- TOEFL, PTE Academic, IELTS Academic, or Duolingo results are preferred
- Minimum score required for admission consideration: TOEFL IBT – 79, PTE Academic – 53, IELTS Academic – 6.5, or Duolingo – 110
- Alternatives to TOEFL, PTE, IELTS, or Duolingo may be considered on a case by case basis
Frequently Asked Questions
Everything you need to know about applying to Semester at Sea as an undergraduate student.
When should I apply?
Semester at Sea operates on a rolling admissions basis, meaning there are no application deadlines for specific semesters. However, it is recommended that you begin the application process 12 months before the semester in which you would like to participate. Applications will continue to be accepted until approximately one month before the start of the voyage.
Is the program open to students in all majors?
Yes, students from all majors regularly enroll in Semester at Sea. More than 40 majors are typically represented on any given voyage.
What are my chances of gaining admission?
If you are in good academic standing and have a good record with regard to behavior on your home campus, you will be given every consideration. Semester at Sea operates with the philosophy that all undergraduate students should study abroad. We will work with you to help make it possible.
How long will it take to hear about my admission?
Once the Office of Admission has received your completed application, you will receive a reply in about 7-10 business days. It is advisable to follow up and verify that all components of your application have been received.
I am a first semester Freshman. How do I submit my academic record?
You should follow the Traditional Undergraduate application process for admission to your voyage. You will need to upload your current course enrollment on the application, under transcript, and email your high school transcript to your Admissions Advisor.