be_ixf;ym_202012 d_01; ct_50

State of the Institute — September 2020

Communications Coordinator
Sep 30, 2020

Alumni

State of the Institute — September 2020

We know many of our alumni and friends have questions about Semester at Sea, our financial situation, and the future of our program.

Semester at Sea is poised to weather the pandemic and an entire year of no program revenue. Our resilience is only possible through the incredible philanthropic support of our alumni community, thoughtful leadership by our Board of Trustees, and the hard work and sacrifices made by our home office team.

Please watch this update from ISE President and CEO Dr. Scott Marshall, and plan to join us for a live question and answer session on Wednesday, October 7 at noon MDT on Facebook.

To submit your questions, simply email alumni@semesteratsea.org by Monday, October 5.

1. Erika Gentry
    September 30, 2020 at 11:57 am

This video – chills. I remember our phenomenal Spring 2016 voyage and know that you will be back at sea soon.

You have my undying support as well as fond memories. I hope to be back at sea with you teaching media arts.

My sincerest thoughts,
    Erika

2. Kirby Day
    September 30, 2020 at 1:16 pm

Thank you for this. Everything so very true. SAS has survived so many challenges, back to the 1970’s. Proud to be a staffmember alumnus of a program that changed my life and my direction. Thank you!! Sail on!!
    Assistant to the Executive Dean, S82, F82, S92. Kirby Day

3. Jill Hurd
    September 30, 2020 at 1:29 pm

You captured the essence of the experience beautifully. Thank you. Together we can and will sustain this most treasured program.
    – Jill

4. Mamta Accapadi
    October 1, 2020 at 6:41 am

Thank you so much for your continued devotion to this program. Deeply grateful for your update.

5. Karyn Planett
    October 1, 2020 at 8:48 am

My journey on SAS (then World Campus Afloat) began in Fall 1968, continued to Spring 1969, then I sailed again Summer 2011 and Fall 2018. My life was forever altered the moment I stepped aboard. The experience led ultimately me being at sea for 23 years. And, I’m still friends with some of my shipmates and our stories are relived over and over to this day. We shipmates are a brotherhood which few can understand. Stay strong SAS.

6. Pendak Carrer
    October 1, 2020 at 1:50 pm

Excellent speech, eloquently delivered. However, for the discerning listener the predominant focus on „the good old days” underscores obstacles to the highly uncertain future of SAS. Significant problems are not just the financial pressures on SAS, those may be managed, but the prospect that there can be no repeat of the Ghana experience shown in the video, nor home stays, nor independent travel, nor close (unmasked) interaction on the ship — unless one assumes that the Covid pandemic has ceased by the time SAS hopes to be sailing again in 2021. The rigid health protocols currently enforced by the few operating commercial cruise lines demonstrates those non-financial obstacles to resuming SAS voyages.