Semester at Sea Nomination Application
Diversity Abroad Global Student Leadership Summit
March 14-17, 2020 in New Orleans, LA
As proud Global Partners with the Diversity Abroad Network, Semester at Sea is seeking currently enrolled student alumni to sponsor for Diversity Abroad’s Global Student Leadership Summit (GSLS).
WHY GSLS SUMMIT?
The Global Student Leadership Summit is an opportunity for emerging leaders from diverse backgrounds to participate in professional development workshops to enhance their career readiness by learning how to articulate and leverage their international experience for career and graduate opportunities. Students will share their international experiences with education abroad and diversity professionals in attendance at the conference and discover new career possibilities that would benefit from their global experiences through sponsored panels and information sessions. At the same time, GSLS participants will develop awareness of diversity and inclusion especially as it relates to leadership in a global society and consider solutions to global issues through workshops and case studies. Through networking and community-building activities, students will experience meaningful interactions with student leaders from a variety of different colleges and universities.
- Empower student leaders with the skills necessary to make an impact on their campuses and in their career
- Enrich student understanding of international experience through critical reflection and structured engagement on topics such as identity, social justice, inclusion and access, and leadership
- Encourage students to network with other student leaders and professionals and explore ways to apply their international experience to various career, post-graduate, and academic opportunities
- Energize students to harness their global experiences to make real change on their campus, in their communities and in the world
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
We are seeking participants from the following student populations: First-generation, Racial/ethnic minority, with disabilities, high financial need, and LGBTQI+. We would like to identify students who:
- Exhibit exceptional leadership potential
- Are engaged in the campus community
- Are able to speak thoughtfully about their experience abroad
- Representatives from public and private agencies and organizations who have an interest in internationalizing Minority Serving Institutions
- Will be able to engage in and contribute to the sessions and discussions throughout the GSLS
- Are likely to utilize what they’ve gained from the Summit and share with the campus community upon their return
- Have a GPA of a 3.0 or higher
IN ORDER TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR SEMESTER AT SEA SPONSORSHIP:
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student (graduation date May 2020 or later)
- Must not have any major conduct violations from SAS voyage (minor dock time violations allowed)
- If selected as a nominee:
- Semester at Sea will pay the Summit registration fee, and will provide a reimbursement travel grant of up to $1,500 for travel and lodging expenses
- Must be willing to room with a fellow GSLS student participant during the conference
- Must submit a two page conference debrief within two weeks of conference
- Must serve on review board for future GSLS student nominees
Reflections from Previous GSLS Participants
Swipe to read!
To apply, please complete the application below. Application Deadline** December 31, 2019 at 11:59pm Mountain Standard Time
*Conference Information taken from Diversity Abroad Website: http://conference.diversitynetwork.org/global-student-leadership-summit/
**Late applications will not be accepted or reviewed. All supplemental items must be emailed by the application deadline.
We are no longer accepting applications for this sponsorship.