In the morning, participate in a beach clean-up with the Global Shapers Port Louis Hub. The Global Shapers Community is a network of young people driving dialogue, action and change. The Hub has been a platform for young Mauritians from different backgrounds to create impact locally. The Port Louis Hub has strategically positioned itself as the convener of choice on Oceans and the Blue Economy in Mauritius and in the Indian Ocean. It’s flagship project #SeeingBlue received global recognition by winning the Mary Robinson Climate Justice Award in 2016.
Despite being hailed as a major tourist destination, littering and a lack of respect for the ocean are major issues in Mauritius. Beach clean-ups not only keep beaches clean but also raise awareness of the impact that littering has on our beaches and oceans.
Local fishermen will be invited to join in on the day so that the participants have the opportunity to talk with people who make a living out of the oceans. Raising awareness and increasing the dignity of those working with the sea is one of the priorities in creating a sustainable blue economy.
Enjoy lunch on the beach with members of Global Shapers and industry experts. Q&As and mingling will be the main priority during this portion of the day so that participants gain a local perspective of the state of the oceans in Mauritius.
- Describe basic properties of plastics, including composition and inability of the substance to biodegrade.
- Discuss the connection between gyres, microplastics and marine food webs.
- Define the term sustainable and discuss if most fish populations are sustainably caught or overfished.
- Describe the dependence of many countries on fish protein (and issues with the growing human pop).
- Discuss what is meant by “Fishing down the trophic levels.”
- Discuss how gear and vessels commonly used in commercial fishing contribute to overfishing.
- Define bycatch and give specific examples discussed in class.
- Identify other harmful impacts on marine habitats and ecosystems caused by fishing practices.
- Explain the goal and value of programs like Seafood Watch, Marine Stewardship Council, and others.