be_ixf;ym_202212 d_08; ct_50
Financial Aid

Semester at Sea Financial Aid

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Does Semester at Sea offer financial assistance?

Yes. ISE offers a variety of need-based financial awards. Students who qualify for federal aid and loans can also receive ISE assistance. Students who do not typically qualify for federal aid/loans will also be considered for ISE assistance.

Can I use my existing financial aid on Semester at Sea?

Use of any federal aid or loans that you receive, such as Pell Grants and Stafford loans, are dependent upon the policies of your home institution. The use of any institutional aid you receive from your home school or from another source must be determined by that source. You must check with the financial aid office at your home institution to determine if your financial aid will transfer.

How do I apply for financial assistance?

For federal aid and loans you should complete the Federal Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) on your home campus. The information that this process generates will be used both for federal aid and loans and for ISE assistance. Semester at Sea financial aid deadlines are typically 3.5 months prior to voyage embarkation date. Visit the ISE Scholarships page for applications and deadlines.

What do the shipboard student assistant positions entail?

Generally student assistants get the benefit of arriving a day before departure to meet the faculty and staff and to help prepare for embarkation. After embarkation students are expected to work 2 hours per day while at sea. Students are not expected to work during days in port. Student assistant positions are usually in the following departments: library, computer lab, field office, administrative office, student life, and registrar’s office.

What is a consortium agreement and what does it mean to me?

A consortium agreement is a written understanding between two schools that will outline issues such as credit transfer, financial aid, and course pre-approval. Many schools require a consortium agreement to study abroad. Almost all schools will require a consortium agreement to transfer financial aid. Please visit your financial aid or study abroad office for more information.

If my school will not process my federal aid for Semester at Sea, can I get that aid through Colorado State University?

Possibly. You will be enrolled as a visiting, non-degree seeking student at Colorado State University. Students must be degree-seeking at their home institution in order to receive federal financial aid. Please contact the Semester at Sea financial aid office if your home institution will not process aid.

What other loan options are there besides the federal Stafford loan?

Private student loans are available from most large banking institutions. The internet is a valuable resource to compare rates and payback policies.

I get a scholarship on my home campus. How can I tell if I can apply it to my Semester at Sea?

You’ll need to check with your school’s study abroad office and/or financial aid office to find out if your scholarship can be applied to Semester at Sea.

I’m working very hard to put the financing together. What deadlines to I need to keep in mind?

Payment is due 90 days before the voyages. This due date may be extended with verification of financial aid and disbursement information.