Minority Serving Institution (MSI) Scholarship
Voyages: Spring and Fall
Eligibility: Must attend an eligible Minority Serving Institution. Preference will be given to students who identify with underrepresented backgrounds.
SAS Financial Aid Apply Eligibility
Thank you for your interest in applying for Semester at Sea grants and scholarships! You must be a confirmed voyager, by paying your deposit, before you can apply for any Semester at Sea financial aid. Please answer the questions below to continue.
Semester at Sea is proud to offer this scholarship to students attending a Minority Serving Institution. Apply today for one of four $5,000 scholarships offered each fall and spring toward your study abroad program with Semester at Sea. Funds will be applied toward your voyage program fees and may only be applied toward Semester at Sea programs.
Preference will be given to students who identify with underrepresented backgrounds.
Recipients will be expected to lead and foster inclusive practices and events within the shipboard community. Selected scholars will be required to post on social media five times during their voyage (public Instagram account required) and choose two tasks from the below menu to complete during their voyage.
- Collaborate on Community Programming with Residential Director for Diversity and Inclusion (examples: SEACards, student panels, privilege walks, movie screenings, etc.).
- Welcome and mentor Interport students (visiting members of the shipboard community that join a voyage for 1-2 segments between countries).
- Lead an affinity group throughout the voyage (examples: Gay-Straight Alliance, Black Student Union, Muslim Student Association, etc.).
- Social media feature/takeover on Instagram, Snapchat, or another platform. (Selection for these opportunities is at the discretion of the Communications team on board.)
- Two written reflection articles, one pre- and one post-voyage; 500 words each.
In order to be eligible for this scholarship, you must be a confirmed voyager who has paid your deposit.