Inclusive Engagement Scholarship
Amount: $5,000 + Flights
Voyages: Spring and Fall
Eligibility: Open to all students. Preference will be given to students from underrepresented identities (Race/Ethnic Minorities, Students with Disabilities, First Generation, Low-Income, LGBTQIA+, Religions, Veterans).
SAS Financial Aid Apply Eligibility
Thank you for your interest in applying for Semester at Sea grants and scholarships! You must be a confirmed voyager, by paying your deposit, before you can apply for any Semester at Sea financial aid. Please answer the questions below to continue.
Semester at Sea is committed to fostering a shipboard community inclusive of all identities. We are pleased to award the Inclusive Engagement Scholarship as a means for student leaders to get involved in diversity and inclusion initiatives during and after their voyages and to inspire prospective students from their communities to sail with Semester at Sea in the future.
Recipients will be expected to lead and foster inclusive practices and events within the shipboard community. Selected scholars will be required to post on social media five times during their voyage (public Instagram account required) and choose two tasks from the menu below to complete during their voyage.
- Collaborate on Community Programming with Residential Director for Diversity and Inclusion (examples: SEACards, student panels, privilege walk, movie screenings, etc.).
- Welcome and mentor Interport students.
- Lead an affinity group throughout the voyage (examples: Gay-Straight Alliance, Black Student Union, Muslim Student Association, etc.).
- Social media feature/takeover on Instagram, Snapchat, or another platform. (Selection for these opportunities is at the discretion of the Communications team on board.)
- Two written reflection articles, one pre- and one post-voyage; 500 words each.
In order to be eligible for this scholarship, you must be a confirmed voyager who has paid your deposit.