Alumni and Friends of Semester at Sea,
We are pleased to share with you our most recent State of the Institute. In this address, ISE President and CEO, Scott Marshall, celebrates several institutional milestones, including:
- Three successful voyages since the COVID-19 pandemic
- Extension of our academic partnership with CSU to 2027
- Establishment of a new engineering program to debut in 2024
- Amazon Prime’s The College Tour episode on Semester at Sea to be launched in Spring 2023
- Completion of our All Hands On Deck capital campaign raising $50 million
The All Hands On Deck campaign, launched in December 2017, was Semester at Sea’s first comprehensive fundraising campaign. Alumni, supporters, and foundations contributed $50,790,529.98 in cash, pledges, and planned gifts, most of which are in support of student scholarships.
Forty percent of gifts were earmarked for student scholarships; 20 percent were pointed at faculty and staff support and programmatic enhancements. Another 20 percent were unrestricted, and the final 20 percent of gifts went to ISE’s endowment.
“The success of this campaign is owed to the leadership of Erin Anderson and John Tymitz, Shelley Galloway, Jeffrey Glazer, and our entire advancement team, including the leadership of our former Vice President Audra Brickner,” President Scott Marshall shares.
He also announces exciting updates about our five key strategic initiatives, which are:
- Designing our future ship
- Ensuring financial access
- Enhancing our intentional and inclusive learning community
- Achieving carbon neutrality and, eventually, net zero
- Creating global brand awareness as a top study abroad program
Learn more about what’s to come for Semester at Sea by watching the entirety of our State of the Institute address: