Death of Fall 2017 Voyager

Vice President of Public Affairs
Nov 7, 2017

Death of Fall 2017 Voyager

Kassie Braun at the Taj Mahal Fall 2017We are deeply saddened to share the news of the loss of a member of our shipboard community. This afternoon (November 7, 2017) at approximately 1600 local time in Myanmar, Kassandra (Kassie) Braun, a student from St. Edward’s University, fell while on independent travel in Bagan. She was severely injured and passed away in the ambulance on the way to Mandalay General Hospital.

A shipboard community meeting is planned for tonight on-ship to discuss this tragedy. Mental health counselors are on-call. All shipboard resources will be used to provide a supportive environment for our community. Additional details will be provided as they become available.

Please see a statement here, provided by Kassie’s parents, Chalene and Dave Braun.

Please contact us at 970.491.0818 or email mzoll@isevoyages.org with any questions or concerns.

Kassie Braun World Odyssey

1. Kate Chargualaf
    November 7, 2017 at 5:48 pm

Kassie we LOVE you!!!
    We are here for your family. We will take care of them and pray with them. Dave, Cha, Skyler, Kaven and Kyleigh… we love and adore you guys. We are here for you. We pray for Kassie. We pray for each of you.
    With all our love,
    Kate, Russ, Darius, Sadie & Jersey

2. Margaret Thomas
    November 7, 2017 at 8:11 pm

We are so terribly sorry for all of you and your huge loss. Our thoughts are with you all and Kassandra’s family.
    Maggie and George Thomas

3. Lynne Harkness
    November 7, 2017 at 8:16 pm

I’m soooooo saddened by this news. I’m holding your shipmates in my heart.
    Lynne
    Spring 16

4. Jill Stewart
    November 7, 2017 at 9:01 pm

This is so heartbreaking. My sympathies to her family, her shipboard friends and to all the staff of Fall ’17 voyage.
    Jill- Fall’72

5. Margarita Maria Lenk, PhD, Semester at Sea Faculty on Fall 2016 voyage
    November 8, 2017 at 12:46 am

We hold your whole Fall 2017 shipboard community in our hearts, our prayers, and share your sadness. We are sending you courage and grace and strength for acceptance during this most horrible of accidental tragedies. Margarita Maria Lenk, SaS professor, Fall 2016.

6. Wiviott
    November 8, 2017 at 2:51 am

Our hearts mourn for the loss of your truly beautiful daughter, sister and friend. As a family of SAS voyagers, we cannot fathom. We pray for your family and keep you in our hearts during this incredibly difficult time.

7. Rita mc carty
    November 9, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Dear lord take her in your bossom and cradle this beautiful baby cause she was your own.life shortened so early .take care of her family and friends grief take away the saddness and fullfill them with a gladness to have had the time and memories in jesus name amen.

8. Mary Catherine Beach
    November 9, 2017 at 7:31 pm

Prayers to her family and SAS family! You’re on my heart today.

9. Mary Catherine Beach - Spring '16
    November 9, 2017 at 7:32 pm

Prayers to her family and SAS family! You’re on my heart today.

10. Anna Beth Payne, spring 2015
    November 9, 2017 at 8:30 pm

May her memory be a blessing to all who voyaged with her, at Sea and on land.

11. Mari Myren and fsmily
    November 10, 2017 at 6:19 am

Thoughts and prayers yo you all! Her light was bright where ever she was! Shining bright still! Treasured moments become treasured memories!🙏😘❤️🙏🙏🙏🙏

12. Sara Robinson
    November 10, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Our hearts and prayers are with Kassie’s family, friends and the shipboard community. The Robinson Family SAS ’88, ’15 and Fall ’17.

13. Sue Sommer
    November 10, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Beautiful adventurer, exploring new realms to learn about, and from the photos we see, loving the experience. I’m holding her family, friends, and the shipboard community in the light of understanding, acceptance, and love. Sue (Rudisill) Sommer, F68-S-75

14. C. Nathan
    November 10, 2017 at 5:21 pm

Our Deepest Sympathy and sorrow for your loss… prayers for her family and friends..

15. Lisa
    November 10, 2017 at 7:02 pm

As a parent of a female student on SAS at the moment I can not begin to imagine the heartache this family must be feeling. This could have been any one of our children. Since the news of Kassandra I’ve been able to think of little else. My deepest sympathies and prayers to all that had the privilege of knowing Kassie. Lifting you all up in prayer… until we meet again.
    The Dickinson Family

16. Kristin Skarie
    November 11, 2017 at 12:53 am

I am so sad for Kassie’s family and friends….sending you all peace and love. For all who are her ship family , I wish you comfort tonight as you mourn together. Prayers….

17. Terri Steinhaus
    November 11, 2017 at 2:15 pm

I cannot tell you how saddened I have been since hearing this news. I have been praying for Kassandra’s family and all aboard the ship. As a parent of a current student, I cannot fathom your pain. You are in my thoughts and prayers and I am so sorry.

18. Pat & Don Thieke
    November 13, 2017 at 2:13 am

So sorry for you all, such a tragedy. May you find peace and comfort at this difficult time. Cherish the memories and God Bless. 🙏🏻